Every January I choose a word that I’ll use as my working point of focus for the New Year.
This year my word is: expand. It’s a verb. Verbs mean action.
Webster’s II Dictionary explains it simply:
1. To make or become greater in size, scope, or range
2. To open up or out: unfold.
3. To speak or write at greater length: enlarge
My numerical response order looks like this:
1) The novel manuscript has a few spots that need to be explained better—in a word, expanded. Three of my serious readers have told me this now.
2) My reading and study into spiritualism, other world religions and philosophy will continue this year. The more I read, the more I realize how undeveloped we human-bots really are.
3) It’s time to raise the bar and try writing a piece for a more dangerous market, defined here as one of those publications where it appears that only the big writing guns are allowed in. There are three basic possibilities for such effort:
- they ignore me
- they say ‘no’
- they say ‘yes’
I still get to go on living, breathing and writing, regardless.
The famous words of one particularly remarkable man will help get me started:
“Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”
Dr. Martin Luther King
What word did you choose for 2011?